/* */

MAIN PAGE

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Five Blogs I Love

Posted by a4g @ 6/15/2005 11:32:00 AM

Five blogs I love, and why you should go visit them right now:

I always imagine Ellisson in a cabana on the sand in Key West, drinking a tall, colorful drink with a paper umbrella sticking out of it, while he chats with a lifetime full of friends and family who lounge on chaises all around. This may not be how he actually lives, but my brain just keeps ignoring everything to the contrary. A guy who loves life even when it hurts, knows the value in the appropriate fear of one's wife, and tells great stories.

Atlas Shrugs
explodes off the screen, a frenzy of ideas and quotes and manifestos. Pamela is unabashedly sincere, and reading a post is like the guilty pleasure of watching an ultimate fighting cage match. I have a soft spot for anyone who distills the world so clearly into its component black and white, and the fact that her site is like a refrigerator stuffed with too many magnets (and takes like 15 minutes to load) is all part of the appeal.

mquest is really worth a look. Pictures and captions, with wonderfully quirky observations that give you the exquisite pleasure of seeing the world in a new way, as you say "Why didn't I think of that?"

Gates of Vienna is always wonderful, although commenting is intimidating at best, as the discussions often get into the "Belmont Club" realm where it takes a few Previews to get the courage to press 'Post'. A relentless lens on the conflict between the West and Islam, Baron Bodissey and Dymphna offer commentary that is always intelligent and thought-provoking.

The Cafeteria Is Closed.
Don't let his thumbnail picture fool you, the guy is a two-ton-bench-pressing monster, and he attacks his topics with the same zeal. His always sharp, dead-on posts will never fail to delight. This is a place where Catholic lives and breathes.


Hey, this was fun. I may just do it again next week. I've already thought of the next five!

Now go read!


UPDATE: Oh, and ignore the 'yes, it's satire' bit below. Yes, it's automatic. Maybe someday I'll grow up and get Movable Type.






4 Comments:


Comments are open and unmoderated.
Abusive, hateful or irresponsible comments were probably posted by one of the contributors.
At 6/15/2005 04:42:00 PM, Blogger Dymphna ...
Blogger ate my comment of awhile ago. I liked the Cafeteria. He's an Eight in the Enneagram system, which if you haven't done the test you should. More accurate than the Meyers-Briggs. The Jesuits spread it here...

He came over to Vienna and wants to convert me. Offered him my scapular.

Anyway, this is a good idea. It could spread. Kind of the opposite of "Things I Hate," hmmm?
 
At 6/15/2005 04:58:00 PM, Blogger a4g ...
Oh, dear.

Here I am, wandering lost on the road to Salvation, and I may have committed a sin to put even Judas to shame...

I may have started a meme!
 
At 6/15/2005 06:48:00 PM, Blogger Elisson ...
High praise, indeed!

And in ten days, when I really will be sitting on the beach (albeit not in Key West), I will have a drink (without the umbrella, thankyewverymuch) in honor of Point Five - and the redoubtable Dr. Stephen Hawking.
 
At 6/15/2005 08:46:00 PM, Blogger mquest ...
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home